The Matthias House was built in 1479 within the City Castle site and was incorporated into Mining Bastion. The 4-storey building was built close to the Slovak Church. The rooms have mostly flat ceilings, some rooms on the ground floor as well as on the 1st floor have barrel vault. On the facade, there are date (1479), 2 embossed coats of arms of Matthias Corvinus and of his second wife Beatrice of Aragon and coat of arms of the city. The front side of the building is adorned with stone balcony.
During the 16th and 17th centuries cannons were placed in the Mining Bastion to protect the approach to the City Castle from the north. The building later served as a storehouse for gunpowder, but also for grain. In the 16th century there was a grain mill here, so the bastion was called also Mill Bastion.
In 1907-1909, the Matthias house was renovated and the first exposition of the museum was opened here. Currently is the Matthias House under complete restoration. Regarding the last restoration of the building’s interior, which was done for the first exposition of the City Museum at the beginning of the 20th century, is the present reconstruction necessary.