The water regulation device (weir) formed part of a hydroelectric power station of the Slovenka textile factory – it was built on the Bystrica stream, upstream from the bridge on Lazovná street (above a house known as Vančo’s, now demolished), in the garden of Slovenka 2.
Historically, Slovenka was relocated in 1950 from Martin to the premises of the Ruttkay and Furdík Broadcloth Factories. It had two plants – the main plant was on Stoličková (now Bottova) street, with the main entrance from the intersection of Lazovná and Stoličková streets. This was originally the Furdík factory, converted to Slovenka 1. The Ruttkay factory at the upper end of Lazovná street, next to the coppersmithing plant, was converted to Slovenka 2. When the weir was closed, water was diverted from the Bystrica stream to a canal running along the main river bed and bringing water to the hydroelectric power station on the premises of Slovenka 1. The canal is still preserved and can be viewed from the bridge near the weir – to the right of the Bystrica river bed. The weir was operated using a switch, connected to the weir by a cable, in the Slovenka 1 power station.
Source: Vladimír Sklenka, Svetozár Dluholucký